Wednesday, October 5, 2011

That's When Dentists Scream and Lose Their Patience/Patients?

Whenever I’m in a good mood or want to be in a good mood I find myself listening to a lot of Owl City. They’re best known for “Fireflies” and “Vanilla Twilight”.
But I found a cute one from that same album the previous two songs were from (Ocean Eyes) called “Dental Care”.  The lyrics are as follows:
I brush my teeth and look in the mirror
And laugh out loud as I'm beaming from ear to ear
I'd rather pick flowers instead of fights
And rather than flaunt my style
I'd flash you a smile of clean pearly whites

I've been to the dentist a thousand times
So I know the drill, I smooth my hair
Sit back in the chair
But somehow I still get the chills

"Have a seat", he says pleasantly
As he shakes my hand and practically laughs at me
"Open up nice and wide", he says peering in
And with a smirk he says, "Don't have a fit
This'll just pinch a bit", as he tries not to grin

When hygienists leave on long vacations
That's when dentists scream
And lose their patience

Talking only brings the toothaches on
Because I say the stupidest things
So if my result goes south
I'll swallow my pride with an Aspirin
And shut my mouth

Golf and alcohol don't mix
And that's why I don't drink and drive
Because good grief, I'd knock out my teeth
And have to kiss my smile goodbye

I've been to the dentist a thousand times
So I know the drill, I smooth my hair
Sit back in the chair
But somehow I still get the chills
I love how a lot of these lyrics have double meanings.
Example #1: When hygienists leave on long vacations
That's when dentists scream
And lose their patience
Now, you can take that exactly as it’s written and be like, oh okay. But when I was listening to the song a while ago and not paying attention to how it was written, you could potentially have a difference in patience (as in patients). So if the dentist is screaming, it’s obvious he’s losing his patience. But also if he was screaming, he’d definitely lose some patients.
Example #2: Golf and alcohol don't mix
And that's why I don't drink and drive
Because good grief, I'd knock out my teeth
And have to kiss my smile goodbye

Again, this could be taken exactly as is saying that golf and alcohol would be a bad combination because his drive from his golf club might knock out his teeth. But if you take out the golf idea completely and pay attention to only the last three lines of that section, you could get the sense he is either against drinking and driving (who isn’t though?) or trying to send a message that it’s a bad idea to drink and drive.
There could be other examples in that song but I haven’t had an epiphany over any other yet. But every time I listen to this song I think it’s cool how they put those in there. I don’t know if they meant to have double meanings or not but either way, it makes the song more enjoyable.
And here’s the video with lyrics if you wanted to hear it as well:


And on a completely unrelated note, I love having the use of Google. You can look up anything and everything you want. It’s so helpful and I’m glad we have awesome enough technology to have Google.

No comments:

Post a Comment