Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Where Did Winter Go?

One of my previous posts talked about how this winter in Iowa will be milder than our average winter. This still proves to be true.

If I can go outside wearing jeans and a hoodie and not shiver, it’s not winter. If I can get in my car and leave the house without even having to defrost or scrape the ice off of my car, it’s not winter. If we still haven’t had a snow day and December is coming to an end, IT’S NOT WINTER!!
I know people complain all the time about how much they hate winter because it’s cold and snowy. But that’s what winter is. It feels weird to feel like we’re still in fall and about to begin a new year.
The worst part of all is that it looks like we won’t be having a white Christmas. Chances are, it will not snow for Christmas and if it snow before Christmas, it will melt before the day actually arrives.
Last winter my car needed scraped off every morning, gloves and a coat (although I just double up on hoodies) were totally necessary, and there was a blizzard on Christmas Eve. I honestly would love for that to happen again. I really love snow.
This season, however, isn’t entirely strange. 2001-2004 we didn’t get snow on Christmas. We also didn’t receive snow for Christmas in 2008. So even though it happens every now and then, it’s not the holidays without winter.
Another reason that snow needs to come is because seniors don’t have to make up the snow days. I remember being a sophomore and not getting out of school until the second week of June. But this year it looks like everyone will be getting out in May. This is so unfair. I want a ton of snow days so the underclassmen have to suffer in school while the seniors get a head start on summer. That’s how it should work every year.

No comments:

Post a Comment