Thursday, September 22, 2011

Depths of Music

In my opinion, preferences on music style really depend on how connected an individual wants to be to the music.

 I think most modern songs (like things you'd hear on Z102.9) don't require thought. They just have a good beat and a tune that gets stuck in your head. The people that consider that their favorite type of music are the ones who don't want to think when they're listening to music. I'm not saying that's a bad thing though. Likes and opinions can’t be right or wrong.

 To me, that kind of music is fine. I'll listen to it but it's not my favorite. I really love soft rock/modern rock and blues rock. (Which I'm just getting into blues rock so I really don't have a lot of suggestions on good music for that but so far, Justin Nozuka is my favorite.)

 For musicians, like myself, I think we look for songs that propose a meaning. Not just songs about sex, breakups, and girls not needing their ex. Lyrics that are clever or really, personally move you is a good majority of what musicians listen to (or at least I do).

 I love Maroon 5 above all other bands. A lot of people either don't like them because they 'aren't very good' or they love them because that one song “Moves Like Jagger” is such a good song. I have loved Maroon 5 since "This Love" had become popular. Then, when they performed "Makes Me Wonder" on the KCA's (Kid's Choice Awards) in 2008 I knew they were something else. They just have a totally different sound than anyone I've come across. Adam Levine (lead singer) has such a different voice which also adds to their quality sound. Not only does their instrumental part sound phenomenal, they sing about some really legit things. They sing about things that will really make you think and connect and it's just very impressive how Adam puts his words together. I never get sick of them.

 I also really love My Chemical Romance. To a lot of people, this is an 'emo' band with a lot of heavy guitar. But if you really listened to their music, they have really clever lyrics. One of their songs called "Cancer" is probably one of their best examples of that. The way they come across with their ideas is often abstract.

 I appreciate all music to an extent. One kind of music I'm not a fan of though, is rap. I just don't think it has really any creativity. It's all made up beats and sounds off of the soundboard rather than someone actually composing the music themselves. Also, when most people rap, it's about sex, drugs, or a combination of the two in a funny description. I think Eminem is really good about rapping about things that are important to him rather than about something very cliché. Otherwise, I really don't listen to a lot of rap.

 I don't think any music sucks, I just know if I don't like it then that means it's just not my style. Other than Miley Cyrus. She needs to go. Her music definitely sucks, partially because of the person she is. But I don't like people that say music is so horrible when the only reason they say that is because they don't like the sound. It's not bad music; it's just a different style that you're not into.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Kelsi!

    I really enjoyed reading your blog. I'm also very interested in music and love to have conversations about new trends. If you're looking for good recommendations for new music (I know you mentioned that you're looking into blues-rock), I would look to NPR. Their music section of the website usually features both new and well-established artists. Here's a link to the jazz-blues section of their website: http://www.npr.org/music/genres/jazz-blues/

    As I've explored music more throughout these past few years, I've realized that the songs that get airplay in/around Iowa are often not good representations of the depth of each genre. For example, the rap that you referenced in your post is often considered "commercial" to many hip-hop communities. There's a really interesting genre of underground/educational rap that has a lot of clever wordplay and beats. If you ever want to talk some about this, let me know!

    Have you checked out any of the Rolling Stone blogs on music? I think these blogs could add further inspiration to your blog!
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music

    I'm looking forward to reading more!
    -Ms. O'Connor

    ReplyDelete