Monday, November 14, 2011

Discrimination Over Happiness?

In the same realm as the debate over homosexuality legal rights, transgender is also very much debated. Being transsexual means you were born one gender but had surgery to be the other gender.
The people who feel the need for this surgery feel as though they were born wrong. In their heart and in their minds they believe they were meant to be the other sex.
Arguments against transgender rights include that you’re born the way you are. I do agree with this statement. I believe God made everyone how they were supposed to be. HOWEVER, I am not transgendered so I have no idea how they feel. I think they are totally right for doing what makes them feel like themselves. I wouldn’t know how it feels so I don’t judge when I hear or see people that say they believe they are in the wrong body. It’s actually kind of interesting to watch the TV show documentaries on their lifestyle because it’s so different from my own. But just because it’s different and I don’t entirely understand it doesn’t mean I am against it.
Apparently somewhere in Canada they are teaching kids in classrooms to be tolerant of homosexuals and transsexuals. I think this is an awesome idea. It’s great for kids to know that it’s okay to be who you want to and it’s okay to love anyone you want. Although, there are some people against that being taught.
The people against those teachings say that it will poison our kids into thinking that they should be gay or that they should be the other gender. They think it will only confuse kids because their mind is still developing and learning. This is so utterly and entirely false!
Just like homosexuals, you can’t choose to be transsexual. I’ve watched about 4 different documentaries on transgender people and learned about them. After learning new things about their lifestyle it makes me more understanding, aware and accepting. It does not make me want to be transsexual because I already know who I am and what I want.
This still doesn’t go against the argument though because little kids don’t know yet who they are or what they want to be. But their mind is just grasping for new information up until a certain point. This point is where we start basing opinions on only what we know and if new information is presented that goes against our own ideas, we reject it. It simply gets ignored and that’s what causes people to become ignorant.
If we teach kids at a young age that these things are okay, they will know that before they start basing their own opinions. And if they learn it while their mind is still developing ‘wrong’ and ‘right’ then chances our they won’t have many opinions against people anyways because they learned to be accepting at a young age. If they learn these things are okay then they will carry that through their whole life and grow up as an open minded individual.
Basically, I am for transgendered rights. It is their life, their money, and their future. If they are doing what makes them happy and doing what makes them love themselves, then they are totally on the right path to have a successful life.
The people that probably take that information the hardest are the parents of a child who want to change their gender. They had that child as one gender, this beautiful baby they spent their time treating as a certain sex to find out that they’re going to alter their lifestyle completely. I bet that’s one of the toughest things for a parent to overcome. But if they truly love the child they will want them to be happy no matter what that entails.
Plus, for many transsexuals it is a matter of life and death. If they can’t become who they feel they are destined to be, they become depressed and suicidal. If they have to be stuck in a body that they don’t feel they belong to, they are going to feel like they belong in life.
A really touching quote I heard from a documentary was “Would you rather have a happy daughter or a dead son?”
I’m supportive of transsexuals because as long as they are making themselves happy, then I am happy for them.  They’ve had enough of a struggle to deal with inside their own mind so I don’t think anyone should give them any harder of a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment