Monday, November 28, 2011

Warm Winter In Iowa

Recently the Weather Channel forecasted for a milder winter than years before. The northern states will be colder than their average and the southern states will be warmer than their average. This is because the North Atlantic Oscillation (NAO) has been dominant over the past few years. However, this year the NAO does not appear to occur this winter.
--North Atlantic Oscillation: A climatic phenomenon in the North Atlantic Ocean of fluctuations in the difference of atmospheric pressures at sea level.

Because it will be warmer than last year’s winter in the Midwest, there will be less need for high heating. Generally you would think that you’d save money then. But, because the quantity demanded for heating will decrease then the price for heating will increase. Energy companies plan to raise their prices on heating during this warmer winter.
Even though you may not be saving much money on heating, you could be on winter apparel. Because of this warm November there have been increasing markdowns on outer wear for winter.
I am glad that it is becoming warmer for the winter. It’s still nice enough to be outside and gloves aren’t necessary yet. Also, I’ve only had to scrape off my car maybe 4 times this year? There really hasn’t been much frost so I don’t have the need to get up early and scrape it off my car.

On the other hand, I really love snow. We have only had one day this fall/winter season when it snowed. Last year in November it had snowed or rained ice about 7 different days of the month. This year we’ve mostly had rain if any precipitation came our way. The one day this month we had “snow” was actually mostly flurries turning into slush.
I’m really hoping that December and January bring a decent amount of snow to Iowa. Now that my high school senior year has arrived, I don’t have to make up the snow days. I’m going to be really upset if we don’t have any this winter.
I don’t just love snow because I get out of school though. It’s just pretty when it’s snowing and accumulation and white blankets cover the streets. And it better snow for Christmas like it did last year. It’s not Christmas without snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment